Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Anansi Boys

This is a novel written by Neil Gaiman.  The story is about a young timid man who  is preparing to get married.  While preparing for the wedding he is interrupted by news of his father's death in Florida.  While in Florida for the funeral he is told that his father was actually Anansi, a west African spider god.  I really enjoyed this story mainly for introducing African mythology which I previously knew nothing about.  Gaiman also does a great job of describing situations and just overall has an enticing writing style.  Although I have yet to complete the novel I definitely plan to as soon as possible.  The use of mythologies that I am not familiar with gave me a refreshing new look at the fantasy genre and reinvigorated my interest in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment